The Music Instructor is a critical member of the teaching team for Studio D. Students will interact directly with the musician to learn various music concepts and benefit from the exposure to live music versus recorded. Given the nature of our classes, we encourage musicians of all styles and types of instruments to be a part of our program. The instructors will be scheduled for 2-7 classes per session, based on their availability. This opportunity is a part-time position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Provide musical accompaniment to support dance in class.
- Lead a portion or majority of class (dependent on class assignment) and teach various music concepts based on the Studio D curriculum(s).
- Use music to support engagement and class participation.
- Support students’ development of rhythm and musicality.
- Make adaptations and accommodations to ensure each individual student’s needs are met.
- Adjust music to the needs of students and teachers.
- Communicate with other teaching artists, volunteers, and staff to ensure cohesive instruction.
- Contribute to evaluation and measurement of classes when needed.
- Undertake any other tasks or duties that may reasonably be required in relation to the role.
*- Other duties may be assigned in support of departmental goals
- Demonstrated sensitivity to students with disabilities and diverse backgrounds.
- Great capacity for patience.
- Compassion for those with different skill sets.
- An adaptive frame of mind.
- Experience and comfort in accompanying a dance class.
- Education in teaching music.
- Experience in managing a diverse group of individuals that can make up a classroom setting.
- Specific experience with differently skilled students.
- Experience in conducting virtual (synchronous and asynchronous) instruction.
- Availability to teach during the fall session (August through November) is required.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, Segerstrom Center for the Arts will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform essential functions of their job.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise levels will vary in the work environment and may occasionally be loud.
- Indoor classes for onsite and offsite locations are well lit and temperature controlled.
Segerstrom Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law.