The Artistic Director is responsible for the oversight and the agreed-upon artistic direction of all aspects of ABT’s School at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, including all levels of the Children’s Division (pre-primary to level 3 in the ABT national training curriculum), pre-professional division (level 4 and above), and all ballet summer training programs at The Segerstrom Center for the Arts. Additional programs may include Summer Intensives, Master Class Series, and Summer dance programs at Segerstrom Center. The Artistic Director oversees all full and part-time staff for the school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Provide leadership and direction to the Gillespie School faculty using ABT’s National Training Curriculum (NTC) and maintain the overall artistic quality per ABT standards.
- Identify and train multiple instructors certified in ABT National Curriculum to teach at the Gillespie School.
- Hold faculty meetings to discuss curriculum, schedules, dress code, important dates, questions/concerns, and goals for teachers.
- Prepare and efficiently manage an annual budget in coordination with the Center’s CFO.
- Be available to students and faculty as a mentor and to guide their instruction within the Gillespie School.
- Observe faculty periodically and provide feedback.
- Create and implement an annual schedule for the Gillespie School to include faculty and pianist assignments.
- Plan and select repertoire for the annual student showcase.
- Work closely with the Principal Teacher of each Division to ensure all faculty and students maintain the artistic quality of the school in accordance with ABT’s standards.
- Plan and oversee additional artistic opportunities including outside performances, open houses, and Master classes
- Serve as an instructor for all levels within the Gillespie School
- Conduct office hours for student questions and advisement
- Find, select, and actively recruit incoming talent for Children’s and Pre-Professional Divisions.
- Serve as primary recruitment contact for prospective students and families to answer artistic questions.
- Conduct or assign faculty to conduct bi-annual written evaluations for all students.
- Be available to parents (within reason) to address questions and concerns
- Evaluate students requesting admission to the Gillespie School in class or at auditions.
- Represent the Gillespie School at Center events as requested
- Function as the artistic representative for the Gillespie School.
- Establish the dates for the Gillespie School yearly NTC exams.
- Chair the Center’s annual scholarship committee to assist in determining award amounts.
- Serve as liaison to the Pas de Deux Chapter of the Guilds and attend events, as requested.
*Other duties may be assigned in support of departmental goals.
- Must be certified in ABT’s National Training Curriculum from Pre-Primary through Level 7.
- Must be committed to serving the institutional efforts of American Ballet Theatre and to furthering its educational mission through its training programs.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of and be proficient in all elements of school administration
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- The desire to help others and a willingness to work as part of a team
- Keen sense of urgency and persistence in achieving goals and completing projects
- Excellent work ethic and sense of humor
- Outstanding written and verbal skills. Excellent organizational and communication skills with parents.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Routinely sit or stand at a workstation in an office setting.
- Frequently stand, walk, move, and bend in a classroom environment.
- Regularly work with a computer and use the telephone
- Occasionally lift or move up to 10 pounds.
* Consistent with its obligations under the law, Segerstrom Center for the Arts will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform essential functions of their job
- The noise level may vary, depending on the work location during any given day
- While in the dance studio, there will be continual music and regular vocal interaction between students and teachers.
- In the administrative workspace, there will be general office noise, ringing phones, and vocal interaction with parents and students
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume and a cover letter containing your salary requirements as separate PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Segerstrom Center employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain medical, disability, and religious exemptions.
Segerstrom Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law.