The American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School at Segerstrom Center for the Arts offers the ABT National Training Curriculum, taught by ABT-certified instructors with professional piano accompanists for children beginning at age 3. ABT is looking for an Administration Assistant to perform administrative and receptionist duties for the ABT Gillespie School. This is a part-time position and will report directly to the Principal Teacher & Coordinator, Children’s Division.
- Greet families as they check in/out students for classes
- Respond to general questions and inquiries relating to the ABT Gillespie School in person, over the phone, or email
- Keep track of student attendance in Tessitura
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with students, parents, caretakers, etc.
- Assume security functions by verifying employee identification and controlling entry access to the back of house
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment and perform clerical functions incidental to reception activity and a variety of office tasks, such as faxing, copying or completion of mailing projects as assigned
- Maintain a clean and orderly work and waiting area in the lobby
- Check studios before classes and secure spaces when classes end
- Check-in students for classes and escort to studio if needed
- Distribute appropriate parking validation to patrons
- Update bulletin board with information on upcoming dance performance and other Segerstrom materials
- Update family information in Tessitura, including emails and email preferences.
*- Other duties may be assigned in support of departmental goals
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively and interact positively with co-workers and patrons
- Must be able to work under pressure, multi-task, maintain a positive demeanor and demonstrate an enthusiastic, resourceful, and effective customer service attitude
- A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, and ability backgrounds
- An adaptive frame of mind, with great capacity for patience and compassion for those with different skill sets
- High school diploma or GED; six months to one year of related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of current office practices and procedures
- Experience operating office equipment and using computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheet, and specialized functions
- Possess appropriate English language skills such as spelling, grammar, punctuation, and able to apply in a business format
- Knowledge of and experience in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher, and Tessitura are ideal. Dance background is a plus, but not required
- Must be punctual and available Monday through Friday afternoons and all-day Saturdays
- Ability to comprehend and write simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
- Computation of basic math
- Ability to apply common sense understanding for problem solving.
- Frequent use of hands to handle, grasp, and feel.
- Regularly sit or stand at a workstation in an office or cubicle setting
- Continually work with a computer and use the telephone
- Must be able to operate a vehicle and maintain a valid driver’s license
- May be required to drive to scheduled events and/or meetings
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, Segerstrom Center for the Arts will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform essential functions of their job
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
- The noise level in the work environment will vary and may be loud at times depending on scheduled events
- Dance studio will have continual music and regular vocal interaction between students and teachers
- Administrative workspace will contain office noise, ringing phones and vocal interaction with parents and students
All Segerstrom Center employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain medical, disability, and religious exemptions.
Segerstrom Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law.